Marcos urged to stop LRT-1 fare hike
Metro Manila, Philippines - A number of groups have urged President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to intervene and stop the implementation of the fare increase at the Light Rail Transit (LRT-1) set to take effect on Wednesday, April 2.
The Bagong Alyansang Makabayan, along with its allied groups, submitted a memorandum of appeal to the Office of the President on Monday, saying that the fare hike would affect low-income commuters.
Beginning April 2, single journey tickets would cost P20 from P15, with maximum fare set at P55 from P45.
In their appeal, groups said the concession agreement between the government and Light Rail Manila Corporation (LRMC), the rail line’s private operator, is “grossly disadvantageous to the public”.
They also claimed there was no “financial necessity” presented in the fare hike petition, adding that the Department of Transportation “did not provide oppositors and the public the metrics for determining the new fares”.
“The private operator LRMC is guaranteed a fare hike every two years. If such is not granted by the government, it is the government that shoulder the fare deficit payment. The term of the contract is up to 2046, and by then, fares would have gone up by 160%,” groups said in a joint press statement.
Aside from suspending the pending fare increase, the sectoral organizations also asked Malacañang to terminate the concession agreement.
It added privatization policies must be reviewed and that “mass transportation systems must prioritize public service over profit.”
In a press briefing, the Palace said while it understands concerns from various groups, the government has to honor its contractual obligations with the rail line’s private operator.
“Kapag kasama po kasi ito sa kontrata at hindi po itinupad or natupad ng gobyerno ay mas magkakaroon po nang malaking problema ang ating mga commuters,” Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said.
[Translation: If these provisions are included in the contract and the government fails to fulfill them, our commuters will face significant problems]
LRMC earlier defended the hike, saying the increase was “only equal to the 2022 LRMC application as provided for in the concession agreement”. The company also said it is only the second time that they had been granted fare adjustment in 10 years.
NewsWatch Plus has sought LRMC’s comment on the groups’ petition.