AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded
Metro Manila, Philippines - The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Saturday said it reorgnized the Vice President Security and Protection Group (VPSPG) into a "more efficient and more effective way to ensure safety" of the vice president.
“The AFP clarifies that the VPSPG was not disbanded, but rather reorganized into the AFP Security and Protection Group,” the agency said in a statement.
AFP said the move is in line with its “rationalization and streamlining efforts” implemented since February and have earlier been approved by the Department of National Defense.
The security agency said that before the creation of the VPSPG, security of vice presidents were given by the Security and Protection Battalion under the AFP General Headquarters and Headquarters Support Command.
The VPSPG was only created in June 2022 when Vice President Sara Duterte took office.
In November last year, AFP chief General Romeo Brawner Jr. relieved military personnel assigned to the VPSPG following an incident involving the detention of Duterte’s chief of staff, lawyer Zuleika Lopez.
Meanwhile, the AFP also urged the public to avoid spreading false and misleading information. This comes as reports of the VPSPG disbanding circulated online early Saturday morning.