EXCLUSIVE: PH, Germany to sign key defense pact in May

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

Metro Manila, Philippines - The Philippines and Germany may sign a key defense cooperation deal in May, sources from the German embassy told NewsWatch Plus.

Diplomatic sources said the text for the "agreement on security cooperation" has been finalized and agreed on by both sides.

Germany is looking into signing the agreement in May on the sidelines of the 2025 Peacekeeping Ministerial on May 13 to 14 in Berlin, Germany.

“The security agreement is a very strong signal for our strengthening cooperation as trusted partners in a rapidly changing global environment. Standing stronger together is a must these days,” the source said.

Last year, the Philippines and Germany committed to signing a defense cooperation that will allow the two countries to uphold international rules-based order in the region amid territorial conflicts in the South China Sea.

Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro and his German counterpart, Boris Pistorius, said a defense pact would allow training and bilateral exchanges between Filipino and German troops.

German Ambassador Andreas Pffafernoshcke previously told NewsWatch Plus that both Manila and Berlin are committed to strengthening defense cooperation.

"The Philippines and Germany are working together to safeguard the international order. We believe that the international rules-based order is the foundation for a peaceful and stable world, as well as for sustainable development," he said.

Germany has also raised its support for the Philippine Coast Guard, delivering two drones for maritime surveillance this year.

The German envoy said two more drones are expected to be delivered soon.

The defense pact with the European country adds to the growing security deals as tensions rise in the Indo-Pacific region.

The government has concluded negotiations for a Status of Visiting Forces Agreement with Canada and New Zealand.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has also approved the negotiations for a VFA with France.

The country has a VFA with the United States and Australia, and a reciprocal access agreement with Japan.